at Black & Veatch in Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Lead Acoustics & Noise Control Specialist – Hybrid
Date: Oct 24, 2023
Company: Black & Veatch Family of Companies
Together, we own our company, our future, and our shared success.
As an employee-owned company, our people are Black & Veatch. We put them at the center of everything we do and empower them to grow, explore new possibilities and use their diverse talents and perspectives to solve humanity’s biggest challenges in an ever-evolving world. With over 100 years of innovation in sustainable infrastructure and our expertise in engineering, procurement, consulting and construction, together we are building a world of difference.
Company : Black & Veatch Corporation
Req Id : 98679
Opportunity Type : Staff
Relocation eligible : No
Full time/Part time : Full-Time
Project Only Hire : No
Visa Sponsorship Available: No
Why Black and Veatch
Black & Veatch allows you to lend your talent and perspective to humanity’s biggest challenges in a flexible environment where you are empowered to grow and explore new possibilities. We offer competitive compensation; 401K match and benefits that start day 1. Our hybrid environment allows you to balance your work and personal life.
At Black & Veatch, you own your career with purpose and meaning. You are empowered to grow and explore new possibilities at every step of your career journey. Bring your big ideas knowing you are safe to be who you are and speak up with concerns or questions and put your diverse talents and perspectives to use.
Black & Veatch prides itself on the support of our employees and providing flexibility to make the things that are most important to you, a priority. This is why we offer our professionals, located near an office, the option of a Hybrid work environment. Our hybrid work approach allows our employees to work two days a week from other locations outside of the office. Additionally, this opportunity has the possibility of being located in any of our offices located across the U.S; click the link and select United States to see a full list of . Some positions may be relocation eligible. Speak to your recruiter if you have interest in relocation.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to:
- Support project owners in identifying and mitigating risk associated with environmental noise and industrial noise control.
- Work with a dynamic team within an established global infrastructure consulting and engineering company.
- Join Black & Veatch’s Environmental practice to work with a team of professionals focused on ensuring environmental stewardship for our clients.
As part of BV Operations, your skills will be aligned to projects that support our 3 market sectors- Governments & Environment, Energy & Process Industries, and Connectivity & Commercial. In roles like Engineers, Technicians, and Skilled Specialists you will be engaged with exciting projects across the globe. From small community improvements to grand-scale Mega Projects, you will be Building a World of Difference through infrastructure growth and development while learning and focusing on your own individual development. The foundation of BV Operations provides the ability to move where your skills are needed and allows for a collaborative and innovative culture offering greater challenges and career development opportunities.
Our Environmental team is a multidisciplinary team of ecologists, engineers, scientists, project managers, and attorneys working together to identify optimum environmental solutions for our clients. We have provided environmental consulting services in support of projects for over 40 years including a diverse and growing mix of infrastructure projects such as power generation (conventional and renewable) and transmission, oil and gas facilities and pipelines, water and wastewater treatment facilities, data centers, and food and beverage industries. As a full-service environmental consulting practice, services include impact assessment and planning, regulatory compliance and permitting, wetland and floodplain analysis, waterbody and water quality assessment, air quality permitting and management, environmental remediation, site due diligence, environmental noise assessment, pollution prevention planning, and climate action solutions.
- The Lead Acoustics & Noise Control Specialist is involved in all aspects of acoustical design and noise control engineering to support the broad scope of global Black & Veatch projects in the areas of power generation (conventional and renewable), data centers, petrochemical, electric transmission and distribution, water supply, wastewater treatment, and telecommunications.
- The Acoustics & Noise Control Services group supports all phases of projects including siting, permitting, independent engineering, engineering design, procurement, construction, and commissioning.
- The Lead Acoustics & Noise Control Specialist coordinates directly with project managers, proposal managers, chief engineers, and project design engineers from all divisions and businesses within Black & Veatch as well as with clients, facility owners, and equipment manufacturers.
- Specific responsibilities include:
o Environmental Assessments – Lead and perform noise impact studies to support the siting, permitting, and licensing of new facilities. These efforts include reviewing noise regulations, conducting ambient noise surveys, modeling facility noise emissions, evaluating potential community impacts, determining necessary mitigation, preparing required reports and documentation, supporting licensing efforts through agency and public review, and providing expert testimony as necessary.
o Acoustical Design – Lead and perform acoustical design studies to support project engineering, procurement, and construction activities. Develop equipment sound level specifications and mitigation requirements to ensure compliance with the design objectives while maintaining a cost-effective facility design. Prepare test protocols and perform noise emissions performance tests to demonstrate compliance with all regulatory and contractual requirements.
- BS or MS degree in engineering or science; specialization in acoustics and/or noise control preferred. Other degrees, specialized training, or experience that uniquely qualifies the individual to perform the job responsibilities may also be considered.
- 5 years of experience in acoustical consulting; specific experience in industrial noise control and environmental noise assessment preferred.
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, and graphics programs; experience with environmental noise modeling software preferred; familiarity with GIS software would also be beneficial.
- Experience leading and managing small teams to achieve timely and accurate project goals.
- Demonstrated experience in conducting quality reviews of deliverables.
- Experience in proposal and cost estimate development preferred.
A minimum total of 5 years of related work experience is typically necessary to move into this level. Graduate work may count as related work experience if directly applicable to job function. All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Industry recognized credentials preferred as may be available and potentially necessary for job function.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
Typical office/home office environment. Physical Demands: Sitting, talking, grasping, hearing, keyboard input, driving, see