at Kansas Department of Transportation* in Pratt, Kansas, United States
This Equipment Mechanic Specialist position works in District Five located in Pratt. This position supervises and performs highly skilled mechanical repairs on heavy and complex equipment. It supervises mechanics in the repair and maintenance of area equipment. It is responsible for managing all aspects of the Area shop including scheduling, prioritizing and advising subarea maintenance shops on required repairs. This position is responsible for the procurement process of parts purchased for repairs in accordance with State Statutes, Regulations and KDOT requirements.
Job Responsibilities may include but are not limited to the following:
- Diagnoses malfunctions and troubleshoots to determine cause of failure; makes operational tests of systems.
- Makes working diagnoses of mechanical failure by means of visual & auditory checks & use of test equipment, such as voltmeters, armature growlers, brake testers, test stands, compression gauge testers, ohmmeters and engine analyzers to determine the exact nature of extent of repair or adjustment needed to complete work orders.
- Removes, disassembles, repairs, adjusts, overhauls, modifies, reassembles and installs or replaces engine & major assemblies, sub-assemblies, wheel balancing & brake & clutch adjustments.
- May occasionally perform oxyacetylene and electric welding or blacksmithing, as in forming, bonding & tempering iron & steel.
- Maintains standard shop records such as timesheets, repair orders and job orders.