at City of Wichita in Wichita, Kansas, United States
This is work planning, installing, maintaining, trouble-shooting, repairing and operating complex electrical and electromechanical equipment and systems. The position may supervise lower-level technical employees. Work is directed and reviewed by a supervisor.
Examples of Work Performed
- Inspects, analyzes, maintains, and repairs various types of electrical and electronic equipment, electrical equipment control devices, and electric systems, lines, and control cables.
- Maintains electrical controls on air conditioners, furnaces, and boilers.
- Advises in the development of specifications and drawings; and planning, supervising and inspecting electrical repairs and/or new electrical installations.
- Requisitions supplies, parts and tools for use in maintenance.
- May supervise the activities of employees engaged in performing installation and repair work on electrical and electronic systems.
- Maintains and repairs medium or high voltage electrical distribution system.
- Maintains constant current regulators and airfield
- lighting systems.
- Maintains electrical metering system to all airport facilities
- Completion of work assignments will require the operation of a vehicle.
- These examples are not intended to be all-inclusive.
- Other related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work
- Thorough knowledge of procedures, tools, and equipment used in electrical and electromechanical maintenance work
- Thorough knowledge of medium or high voltage distribution system and the electrical and electromechanical devices used within these systems
- Thorough knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions
- Thorough knowledge of requirements of the National Electric Code
- Some knowledge of other utilities may be required
- Ability to estimate time and material needed for projects
- Ability to read and interpret specifications, blueprints, and drawings
- Ability to work at heights of up to 35 feet
- Ability to work in confined spaces
- Ability to exert torque up to 125 pounds
- Ability to determine color of wire
- Ability to troubleshoot equipment by sound
- Ability to lift and handle equipment, such as motors, valves, or actuators, weighing up to 85 pounds once or twice monthly, possibly under emergency conditions during hours in which no assistance is available
- Ability to tolerate contact/exposure to cleaners or solvents
- Ability to make minute adjustments and repairs to intricate components
- Knowledge of the standard computer keyboard configurations and ability to access, interpret and record information using a video display terminal and electronic keyboard
- For Water Production and Sewage Treatment positions, experience with or ability to learn Human Machine Interface (HMI) software
- Ability to program and troubleshoot Programmable Logic Controllers
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, representatives of other organizations, and the public.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and TrainingFive years of experience and training in maintenance and installation of electrical and mechanical equipment and systems, preferably with some supervisory experience. A City of Wichita approved and registered journeyman electrician certificate is required; master may be preferred. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check. May also be required to pass a KBI background investigation. Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without the need of a sponsorship.