at Sedgwick County in Wichita, Kansas, United States
Location: Wichita, KS, US
Company: Sedgwick County
Department: Emergency Communications
Pay: $15.40 per hour | This position may be eligible for a sign on bonus of $1,500 after 60 days of employment if selected applicant meets all policy conditions.
Work Schedule: Varies
Responsible for answering and processing emergency calls to provide the vital link for emergency care to citizens and to ensure that public safety personnel can respond to emergencies in a safe and timely manner. Provide emergency medical dispatching instructions to callers in need.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Answer calls via emergency telephone system; interview callers and effectively utilize customer service caller management techniques to control flow of call information
- Utilize Computer Aided Dispatching (CAD) system for call entry and data retrieval
- Provide necessary instructions or directives to callers
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S.
REQUIRED PRE-EMPLOYMENT TESTING/SCREENING:
- Ability to pass a typing test with a minimum score of 35 words per minute
- Drug screen
- Criminal background check
TYPING TEST DETAILS:
- Applicants must complete and pass the required typing test in order to be considered for an interview.
- Applicants must go online to kansasworks.com to create a user profile (click on “Job Seekers”, then under the option to “Create a Profile” select “Create a job Seeker Account”).
- Once your application has been submitted and your online account with KansasWorks has been created, applicants will take the test in person at the Kansas Workforce Center at 2021 N. Amidon Ave #1100, Wichita, KS 67203.
- Typing test scores are good for three years. If you have tested in the past three years, please e-mail Sedgwick County Human Resources at SCHREmployment@sedgwick.gov.
TRAINING AND PROMOTIONAL PROCESS:
Newly hired team members are first trained to manage emergency calls and are then expected to cross-train into the role of a Dispatcher. The following illustrates the promotional processes, current pay increases, and training timelines for Call Takers and Dispatchers:
- Call Taker ($15.40 hourly) - Starting pay.
- Dispatcher I ($17.82 hourly) – Promotion to Dispatcher I is granted upon acceptance into the Dispatch Academy.
- Dispatcher II ($19.64 hourly) – Promotion to Dispatcher II is earned 6-months after release from all dispatch disciplines (Fire Department, Emergency Medical Services, law Enforcement)
It is the policy of Sedgwick County not to discriminate in its programs or services provided to the general public, including employment and all other activities, on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, sex, age, disability, veteran status or any other similarly protected status. Sedgwick County is committed to making the application, interview, and pre-employment testing process accessible to persons with disabilities. If you wish to volunteer information regarding any special assistance you may need, please notify Human Resources by phone at (316) 660-7050, TDD (Kansas Relay at 711 or 800-766-3777). Do not use this phone number for employment questions. This number is provided only for those requiring ADA assistance. You will be contacted should the department feel that you are a qualified candidate.To view full details and how to apply, please login or create a Job Seeker account