at University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kansas, United States
SOM KC Cancer Center Administration
Job Family Group:
Job Description Summary:
Classification created to permit compensation to individuals performing research on Campus and in the Medical Center using University facilities without detailed supervision. Incumbents may guide the research of others and participate, to a limited degree, in classroom instruction. The use of this classification is reserved for those who have either received a doctorate or have demonstrated equivalent professional attainment.
The Liquid Biopsy/Biomedical Engineering Core at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) seeks to fill a position of a Research Associate. This person will analyze liquid biopsy markers, which consist of circulating tumor cells, circulating leukemia cells, extracellular vesicles, and cell free DNA, secured from biological fluidic such as blood, plasma etc. The successful candidate will work alongside other scientists to maintain operation of the Core. Candidates must have a Master's Degree in disciplines such as the physical sciences or engineering. Ph.D. preferred.
Responsibilities and Duties:
The successful Candidate will participate in meetings with the Core director, co-director, and assist in development plans for sample testing, discuss changes in testing protocols, and SOPs. The Candidate will also be involved in writing and publishing technical reports and research papers.
Specific duties associated with this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Handle blood, plasma, saliva, and other biological samples
- Analyze fresh blood samples to isolate rare cells, extracellular vesicles, and cell free DNA
- Fluorescence immunophenotyping of biological cells and visualization using a microscope
- Adherence to SOPs developed by the Core management
- Operation of a fluorescence microscope
- Analysis of cell images and enumeration of cells
- Preparation of cells for FISH
- Enumeration and sizing of extracellular vesicles via nanoparticle tracking analysis
- DNA and RNA extraction
- Ability to sustain cell cultures
- Assist in the maintenance of equipment in the Core and
- Training of new hires and interns
- Preparation of data summaries and reports for clients
- Education: The potential candidate must have a Master's in any of the following disciplines: biological science, biomedical engineering, or chemistry. Ph.D. preferred.
- Work Experience: The experience in handling of biological cells, immunophenotyping of cells, use of fluorescence microscope is beneficial. The ability to perform DNA/RNA extraction, cell lysis, and experience with PCR and RT-qPCR is preferred. The knowledge and understanding of microfluidics is a plus, but not a prerequisite. However, it is expected that a candidate will familiarize themselves with these concepts.
- Skills: Strong technical aptitude. Integrity and respect for patient confidentiality when dealing with clinical samples. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to multitask and prioritize to meet deadlines. Ability to work both independently with minimal supervision and as a part of the team.
- Candidates are invited to submit a letter of application detailing their relevant background and research experiences, a resume, and a list of names and email addresses for three professional references.
The anticipated salary will start at ~$51.5 annually plus benefits (https://www.kumc.edu/human-resources/benefits.html). Salary level dependent on the applicant's experiences.
Pay Rate Type:
To learn more and apply online, please visit https://kumc.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/kumc-jobs/job/Kansas-City-Metro-Area/Research-Associate_JR002861 or go to https://careers.kumc.edu/ and search for position number JR002861.
Applications must be submitted directly through the KU Medical Center website to be considered for this position. Any applications submitted via email or this website will NOT be reviewed or considered.
About KU Medical Center:
The University of Kansas Medical Centers mission is to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral and continuing education programs in the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions. KU Medical Center also advances the health sciences through world-class research programs; provides compassionate and state-of-the-art patient care in an academic medical center environment; and works with communities in every Kansas county to improve the health of Kansans. Learn more at www.kumc.edu.
KU Medical Center proudly offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package through the state of Kansas, with flexible options designed to meet the diverse needs of our faculty and staff. To learn more about our options for medical, vision, dental and other insurances, as well as our generous time off policies and retirement options, please visit http://www.kumc.edu/human-resources/benefitsrewards.html.
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency