at Kansas Turnpike Authority in Wichita, Kansas, United States
Salary Range: $16.416 - $19.030 /hour
Posted: Oct 29, 2021
Definition and Examples of Work
- Installs and maintains highways signs and markers in compliance with the manual on uniform traffic control devices for streets and highways.
- Cuts and applies reflective material on sign blanks, cuts and lays out borders, numerals, letters and symbols.
- Measures, constructs, repairs and helps lay out guard fence in need of attention or installation.
- Operates a sprayer to help control the noxious weeds on all KTA property.
- Operates plotters, printers, scanners, sign roller,
- Operates equipment and hand tools such as dump truck, post driver truck, boom truck, utility knives, tape measure, drills, impact guns, metal cutting saw, ratchet, grinder, welder, hammer, rivet gun, etc.
- Mows and does all landscaping duties around KTA buildings and services areas, including tree trimming and irrigation repair.
- Provides support to other departments and KDOT including use of lifting equipment.
- Maintains and makes minor repairs to equipment and vehicles.
- Additional duties may be assigned as business needs require.
Latitude and Impact of Position
This position works independently and as part of a team, including providing input and problem solving with others to complete tasks. Decision making is typically done in conjunction with others but may be done independently in regard to decisions affecting the individual’s work tasks in alignment with general guidelines and procedures. Successful completion of job tasks impacts operating costs, customer satisfaction, and external company image/liability.
The work environment described here is representative of the general work environment for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in a shop or warehouse or outdoor environment.
- Frequently works outdoors along the highway near high speed traffic and in all weather conditions with exposure to high heat, cold, wind, dust, high humidity.
- May frequently be exposed to moderate to loud noise, chemicals, and insects; occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
- May frequently work in high places on overhead structures, requiring elevation above the ground.
- May frequently work in elevated places and occasionally work in enclosed, confined spaces.
- Requires use of personal protective equipment as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge and use of sign-making software, cutter and plotter.
- Semi-skilled or skilled in the construction, alteration, and repair of guardrail installations, and/or have considerable specifics in landscaping with knowledge of noxious weed control.
- Understanding of general computer skills and keyboarding.
- Knowledge of simple tools used in maintenance and construction.
- Knowledge of traffic regulations and the practices followed in the care and safe operation of trucks and light construction equipment.
- Knowledge of the precautions necessary to work safely with and around mechanized equipment.
- Ability to understand and carry out oral instructions.
- Knowledge of principles of operation of motor equipment sufficient to detect defective operation.
- Ability to service a motor vehicle and to make minor mechanical repairs.
- Ability to operate of motorized equipment.
- Ability to operate general office equipment, electric hand tools, cherry picker, post driver, snow plow/dump truck etc.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- First Aid/CPR
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Semi-skilled or skilled in the operation of trucks and equipment used in the roadside maintenance department.
Certification, License, Registration
- CDL class A
- Category 6, Right of Way, commercial pesticide applicator, preferred
- OSHA certification, preferred
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires significant movement including standing, walking, bending, twisting, turning, kneeling and squatting, and reaching overhead (frequent).
- Occasionally climbs or balances on stairs or ladders.
- Must listen and hear people and equipment sounds (frequent)
- Uses hands to touch, handle or feel and requires repetitive gripping, grasping, pinching or squeezing (frequent)
- Use vibratory tools (occasional)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 100 pounds (occasional)
- Must see up close and at a distance, adjust focus, identify and distinguish colors or shapes, and use peripheral and depth perception (frequent)
- Must distinguish sound tones (occasional)
- Daily travel along the turnpike
- Occasional overtime
- On call 24/7/365 for snow/ice removal
- May be called out for sign, guardrail or other repairs outside of regular business hours.