at Wichita VARO, Department of Kansas VFW in Wichita, Kansas, United States
Department of Kansas VFW is looking for someone to fill their vacant slot at the Wichita VFW Veterans Administration (VA) Regional Office for the following position: State Assistant Service Officer
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Interview claimants and provide information, advice, and counseling to veterans, surviving spouses, dependents, other interested parties who telephone or visit the office concerning:
Compensation, Pension, Education, Veterans Readiness and Education (VR&E), Insurance, Veterans Health Administration issues, Home loans and housing, Tax exemptions, Burial benefits to which they may be entitled.
- Refer claimants to appropriate local, state, federal agencies, and/or community service agencies in cases involving other veteran-related benefits.
- Interpret and explain local, state, or federal laws/rules/regulations pertaining to the Veteran’s Benefits Administration (VBA).
- Advise and assist claimants in obtaining and presenting evidence to establish entitlements to the VBA.
- Assist claimants in preparations and presentation of claim forms to the state and federal agencies.
- Establish and maintain ongoing contact with claimants and the VA about claims development and status of pending claims.
- Acts as an advocate for the claimants by serving as a liaison between the claimant and the VA who is prosecuting claims or appealed decisions previously denied by the VA.
- Respond to communications received from other agencies about claimants benefits and/or requests.
- Conduct or participate in outreach events to reach potential new claimants, and to establish rapport with other agencies that our claimants may be able to utilize.
- Attend meetings and address civic, veterans, and other community service organizations regarding veteran’s benefits.
Requirements needed to perform these duties:
- Served in a combat zone on foreign shores and become a regular member of a VFW post
- Basic computer/networking knowledge
- Effective communications skills and can assess claimants needs based on legal standing processes
- Must be able to pass a local background check to be granted access to VA network applications
- Must be able to work well with others, exercise patience, and possesses conflict resolution skills
Nice to have but not required:
- Veteran is receiving a military pension and VA total disability rating of 50% or more
- Health insurance (Blue Cross and Blue Shield Plan) after 90 days from the date of hire
- Retirement fund after 1 year from the date of hire
- Vacation/Sick Leave/Paid Holidays
- Workman Compensation furnished by VFW
- Term Life insurance furnished by VFW through National Headquarters
- Starting is $32,000 for the first year and must attend two training courses with National Veterans Service VFW and/or Kansas Commission of Veterans Affairs (KCVA)
- $35,900 after that with longevity bonuses provided at different increments based on years of service.
Where to send resume and inquiries:
Department Service Officer, Department of Kansas
VFW Service Office
PO Box 21318
Wichita, KS 67208