at Kansas Turnpike Authority in Wichita, Kansas, United States
Salary Range: $16.416 - $19.030 /hour
Posted: Jun 24, 2021
Definition and Examples of Work
- Makes forms, repairs concrete bridges, and forms and lays steel.
- Repairs buildings, windows, doors, ceilings, flooring, and roofing.
- Operates jackhammers, air compressors, power saws, and other related equipment and machinery.
- Additional duties may be assigned as business needs require.
Latitude and Impact of Position
This position works independently and as part of a team, including providing input and problem solving with others to complete tasks. Decision making is typically done in conjunction with others and may be done independently in regard to decisions affecting the individual’s work tasks/policy. Successful completion of job tasks impacts operating costs, internal system, customer satisfaction, and external company image/liability.
The work environment described here is representative of the general work environment for the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Primarily works in a shop, warehouse or outdoor environment.
- Frequently works outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to high heat, cold, wind, dust, high humidity.
- May frequently be exposed to moderate to loud noise, fumes, airborne particles, and chemicals; occasional exposure to chemicals.
- May occasionally work in confined, enclosed spaces, or underground.
- May occasionally work in high places, rooftops, and on overhead structures, requiring elevation above the ground.
- Requires use of personal protective equipment as needed.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Skill in the use and operation of carpenter and concrete tools and machines.
- Knowledge of the standard practices, materials, and tools of the carpentry and concrete trade.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazards and safety precautions of the trade.
- Ability to read, interpret, and work from sketches, blueprints, and specifications.
- Ability to read a tape measure
- Ability to use hand and pneumatic tools, electric/motorized hand tools, and light and heavy equipment such as air compressor, jack hammers, skid steer, mini-excavator, cutting torch, welder, dump truck, wheel loaders, power washers, table saws, grinder, nail guns, plasma cutter, scissor lift, scaffolding, vacuum tanker.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Metal fabrication
- Concrete finishing work
- Sheet rock hanging and finishing
- Ability to operate heavy equipment
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Experience in construction and building trades preferred
Certification, License, Registration
- CDL class A
- CPR/First aid certified, preferred
- Defensive Driving Course
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Requires continuous movement including standing, walking, bending, twisting, turning, kneeling, squatting, and reaching overhead; frequently climbs or balances on stairs or ladders.
- Must listen and hear people and equipment sounds (frequent).
- Uses hands to touch, handle or feel and requires repetitive gripping, grasping, pinching or squeezing (continuous)
- Use vibratory tools (frequent)
- Must use sense of taste or smell (occasional)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 25 pounds (continuous)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 75 pounds (frequent)
- Lifts, carries, pushes or pulls weight up to 100 pounds (occasional)
- Must see up close and at a distance, identify and distinguish colors or shapes (continuous), and use peripheral and depth perception and adjust focus (frequent)
- Must distinguish sound tones (occasional)
- Daily travel along the turnpike
- Occasional overtime
- On call for snow/ice removal