at Butler County Courthouse in El Dorado, Kansas, United States
Network Engineer (Open Positions: 1)
Closes On: July 1, 2021 at 02:52 PM CST
Job Status: Full-Time
Days Worked: Mon., Tue., Wed., Thu., Fri.
Rate of Pay: $23.22 - $34.37
Under the supervision of the IT Director (CIO), the Network Engineer is a highly technical position involving planning, installation, troubleshooting and diagnostics of network, computer systems, software programs and telecommunication equipment. This position maximizes network functionality by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades, and enforcing system security and standards. The employee in this position assists in training county personnel in the proper use of software programs. The employee assists in the enforcement of county information technology policies. The employee in this position must have the ability to work independently and exercise initiative and good judgment.
- Assists in management of county owned file servers, including maintenance, troubleshooting, diagnosing hardware and software issues for networks, telephone systems, servers, routers, switches, firewalls and personal computers;
- Performs preventative maintenance and upgrades on a schedule, equipment replacement;
- Assists in the development of long-range plans and implement short term plans to monitor computer system security;
- Assists users in operation of computers and software;
- Participates in hardware or software projects including working with a diverse group of users and customers all with various needs;
- Creates and manages users, user groups and computer accounts to include security and permissions;
- Maintains document imaging administration, performs backups of systems, track and record inventory;
- Maintains electronic mail system to include server and software migrations/upgrades;
- Monitors all mobile device and remote connections to servers;
- Installs and configures mobile data devices and activate service;
- Designs, creates and maintains the public website, web hosting support;
- Installs and configures devices to include the programming and routing of calls, setup of automated menus, voicemail accounts and placement of devices;
- Installs, configures, and maintains peripheral and networked equipment such as rack mounted servers, routers, printers, scanners, plotters, GIS equipment, copper and fiber network cabling and other devices;
- Works with vendors and contractors to provide technical support and/or maintenance of customized software applications, database systems;
- Performs other duties as deemed necessary or as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- SQL management and maintenance experience
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations;
- Ability to convey and receive detailed and important verbal and written instructions to and from other workers and the general public;
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public;
- Ability to express ideas to others by means of verbal and written communication;
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form;
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations;
- Ability to reliably and predictably carry out duties;
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists;
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference;
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals;
- Proficiency with computer and telecommunications equipment installation and repair;
- Proficiency in computer networking technologies;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Access and SQL, knowledge of Internet and E-mail applications;
- Proficiency with software utilities and operating systems such as Cisco, WINDOWS Server, VM Ware, VSphere, Citrix, Exchange, ICE, Linux;
- Skill in interpersonal communication.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk; use hands to finger, grasp, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, squat, bend, twist, kneel, crouch, or crawl. Lifting, moving, pushing or pulling up to 10 pounds does generally occur. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.