at City of Wichita in Wichita, Kansas, United States
Starting hourly wage for this position is $15.69 per hour with CDL.
Starting hourly wage for hires with a CDL learners permit is $14.57 per hour until CDL is obtained. CDL Must within 60 days of hire.
Join the Wichita Transit team! Driving with transit as a Bus Operator provides the opportunity to positively impact our neighbors and friends in the Wichita community! Every day, thousands of people depend on our Bus Operators to provide reliable and safe transportation throughout the City.
From the early morning weekday commuter trip for work to a lively late night trolley ride on the weekends, Wichitans represent a diverse group of riders that appreciate service with a smile. To provide the best possible service to our community, Transit relies on a dedicated team of Bus Operators that are able to reliably arrive fit for work on time regardless of weather and traffic conditions.
The driver's seat is an office with a view. With early morning and occasional late night shifts, driving is a beautiful way to see the cityscapes and changing seasons throughout the consistent year-round employment.
We invite you to explore the full position details below and apply to join our team as a Bus Operator if this is the right fit for you.
This is responsible work that involves transporting people from one location to another in the safest manner possible by means of a bus. The position reports to an Operations Superintendent. Work schedules are determined by seniority and shift bid. Examples of Work Performed:
- Operates the bus in the safest manner.
- Ensures that correct fare is collected.
- Assists passengers with disabilities with securing wheelchairs with the proper restraint procedure.
- Keeps records related to bus operation as required.
- Provides exemplary customer service to internal and external customers.
- These examples are not intended to be all inclusive. Other job-related duties may be assigned as needed.
Requirements of Work:
- Ability to read, speak, and write the English language sufficiently to communicate with the general public, to understand traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records in a clear and legible manner.
- Knowledge of and ability to work with the four basic functions of mathematics.
- Ability to read maps, understand and maintain time points and schedules.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with associates, other employees, representatives of other organizations, officials, and the public.
- Ability to answer questions regarding other routes and services.
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in emergencies and other unusual situations.
- Knowledge of the geography of the city and names and locations of streets.
- Ability to: grip and perform other hand and foot motions necessary to safely operate a bus; to bend, kneel turn, twist and squat repetitively for short, sustained periods; to lift, push and/or pull a minimum of 50 pounds on level surfaces or ramps; to tolerate airborne nuisances associated with bus operation, including exhaust fumes and dust; to work and maintain safe operation during inclement weather conditions; and to perform repetitive squats and sustained 30-second squats.
- Ability to acquire and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license
- CDL Learner's permit is required to be obtained with a score of 80% or higher by the Wednesday before the first day of employment and a CDL will be required to be earned within 60 days of hire.
- Must be available for work between the hours of 4 AM to 1 AM, Monday through Saturday.
- An employee shall not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace.
Required Experience and Training:
High school diploma or equivalent is preferred. Commercial driving experience with two years customer service experience is required. A current Class A or Class B CDL with airbrake and passenger endorsements is preferred, however, candidates without a CDL will be required to obtain their CDL Learner's Permit prior to start date. Candidate with a Learner's Permit will be required to earn their CDL within 60 days of hire. An equivalent combination of experience and training may be considered. Offers of employment are contingent upon passing a pre-employment physical, which includes drug screening, and upon satisfactory evaluation of the results of a criminal record check, including past 3 years driving record.
Requires ability to obtain passenger and air brake endorsements in order to complete new driver training.
This position is represented by Teamsters Local 795 and includes Teamsters pension.
This position may require pre-employment testing at the City of Wichita Human Resources department or the Transit department.
This is a safety sensitive position subject to the rules and regulations of the FTA Drug & Alcohol policy for required testing. You will be subject to pre-employment Drug & Alcohol Testing, Random Testing, and Reasonable Suspicion Testing. You will be required to fully comply with all operational safety rules and regulations established by Wichita Transit.