at Sumner County Hospital District #1 in Caldwell, Kansas, United States
Position Title: Registered Nurse/RN
Reports to: Director of Nursing
Job Status: Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Positions Supervised: Employees of nursing service during their scheduled shift
Revision Date: 08/13/2020
Position Summary: Provides prescribed medical treatment and personal care services to all patients in the hospital including emergency services, surgical services, swing-bed services, acute care services, respite care services, and outpatient services by performing the following duties. You are responsible for the skillful performance of direct, technical nursing functions in accordance with the nursing care plan and physician orders for hospital patients. Assist with, through the director of nursing, activities of the nursing staff by performing the following duties.
Essential duties, functions, and responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to, and other duties, functions, and responsibilities may be added.
- Plan, implement and evaluate the care of all assigned patients during a scheduled shift
- Administers prescribed medications and treatments in accordance with approved nursing techniques and hospital policies and procedures
- Prepares equipment and aids the physician during treatments and examinations of patients
- Collects data from the patient, family, and/or significant other by interview, observation, inspection, and accurately reports and records
- Observes patient, records significant conditions and reactions, and notifies the supervisor, the director of nursing, and/or the Physician of the patient’s condition and reaction to drugs, treatments, and significant incidents
- Contributes to the formulation of assigned patient’s care plans and in implementing planned changes and activities to improve nursing care
- Assists with the orientation of new employees
- Documents nursing actions implemented and the effectiveness of the implementation in the nurses notes
- Administers specified medications and documents on the patient’s chart
- Assembles and uses such equipment including, but not limited to, catheters, tracheotomy tubes, oxygen supplies, IV supplies, suction equipment, cardiac monitoring equipment, etc.
- Collects samples, such as urine, blood, sputum, from patients for testing and sends to the laboratory with proper requisitions/instructions
- Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies, and assists the medical practitioner as indicated
- Examines food trays for prescribed diet and feeds patients, records food and fluid intake and output
- Bathes, dresses, and assists patients in walking and turning
- Cleans rooms, makes beds, and answers patient’s calls
- Takes temperature, pulse, blood pressure, and other vital signs to detect deviations from normal and assess condition of patient
- Inventories and requisitions supplies as indicated
- Required to work variable shifts, hours, holidays, and weekends
- Register patients per computer as needed
- Is responsible for promoting team work with physicians, nursing staff, and personnel from all other departments in the hospital
- Performs all essential duties and responsibilities in all areas of nursing services to ensure patient needs are met in accordance with instructions of physician and hospital policies/procedures
- Coordinates activities of all patient care units
- Consults with the supervisor and/or Director of Nursing on nursing problems and interpretation of hospital policies to ensure patient needs are met
- Assists in the planning and organizing of orientation and in-service training for staff members, and participates in guidance and educational programs
- Responsible for meeting the standard of nursing practice
- Responsible for training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work assignments, addressing complaints, and resolving problems
- Participate in nursing department meetings, and hospital wide meetings
- Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Education:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to read and interpret documents such as physician orders, safety rules, and procedure manuals. Ability to chart/document data clearly, proficiently, and accurately is required. Ability to speak effectively to customers/patients, families, employees, medical staff, and the community is essential.
Graduate from an accredited school of nursing with a current licensure as a registered nurse in the State of Kansas. Current CPR certification and ACLS certification is vital. Maintain, continuing education requirements, consistent with the requirements of the Kansas State Board of Nursing is necessary. Attending mandatory hospital in-service meetings and mandatory nursing staff meetings is vital.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by and employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, or controls, reach with hands and arms, stand, walk, stoop, kneel, taste, and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and /or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Occasional exposure to injury to combative or abusive patients may occur. Most work is inside of the building except when assisting a patient in or out of a vehicle, assisting ambulance personnel to load or unload a patient, or assisting a patient in or out of CT.
Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the team member’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors, managers, directors, or officers as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the team member to perform, as Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 may deem appropriate.
Sumner County Hospital District #1
601 South Osage
Caldwell, Kansas 67022