Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Parsons, KS 67357
Prepare and maintain food at appropriate temperature, have knowledge of the Department of Health rules and regulation and Head Start Performance Standards. Gain knowledge of proper food preparation, temperature control, sanitation, and portion sizes.
• Be a positive role model during meal times, classroom times, and bus routes.
• Implements, supplies, and maintains all nutritional activities in the Head Start Center.
• Maintain cooking area and equipment by cleaning and disinfecting the kitchen and tables, cleaning appliances and utensils. Complete all kitchen related laundry.
• Assure a child helper is assigned to assist cleaning dining area.
• Requisition and shop for food ingredients and supplies as required for weekly operations.
• Review menus to determine food requirements including variety and quantity of food for preparation.
• Assemble supplies and equipment needed for daily cooking activities.
• Prepare a wide variety of foods in accordance with provided recipes following the established monthly menus provided by Nutrition Coordinator.
• Contact Nutrition Coordinator for guidance if the menu must be modified.
• Requisition for supplies as needed.
• Complete all paperwork and records as required.
• Prepare foods for special events as needed.
• Prepare special diets per prescribed standards.
• Educate customers on nutritional values and food groups.
• Report any malfunctioning kitchen appliance to Site Manager/Site Director.
• Work with teachers to plan and participate in weekly food activities.
• Work with teachers to develop a plan to work with children for preparing tables and dining areas for meals and cleanup.
• Follow current CACFP guidelines and expectations.
• At the point of each meal service document the number of children and adults served.
• Document daily in the menu book the quantity of food, portions prepared and portions served to adults and children.
• Utilize Positive Behavior Support (PBS) strategies to prevent and defuse disruptive behavior.
• Comply with Head Start Performance Standards, Licensing Requirements, and Program Policies.
• Respect and support cultural differences and diverse family structures.
• Demonstrate good work habits such as arriving on time and adhering to appropriate break times.
• Attend mandatory In-Service trainings and staff meetings.
• Responsibility to report any suspected abuse or neglect to appropriate authority.
• Advocate for SEK-CAP, Inc. in the community.
• Maintain and assure confidentiality and privacy of SEK-CAP customers.
• Uphold and promote the core values and mission statement of SEK-CAP.
• Support management decisions both in actions and words.
• Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Ability to get along with diverse personalities; tactful, mature, and flexible.
• Ability to meet and deal tactfully with the public and to communicate effectively and clearly both orally and in writing.
• Resourceful and well organized.
• Ability to establish and maintain positive, effective working relationships with co-workers, community partners, and customers.
• Ability to learn and adapt to change.
• Previous cooking experience for groups of 20 or more.
EDUCATION AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• High School diploma or GED is required.
• Obtain First Aid and CPR certification within 30 days.
• Successfully complete a physical exam and TB skin test before beginning employment and every three years thereafter.
• Submit to and pass standard criminal history check.
• Submit to and pass standard drug screen test.
• Possess current, valid driver’s license and be insurable by the organization’s motor vehicle insurance carrier.
• Must possess basic math skills to compute accurate CACFP records.
• Must possess time management skills to prepare and serve food in accordance with schedule.