Vice President for Workforce Diversity, Human Resources and Professional Development (993791)
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wichita, KS 67260
Posting Number: 20-00146-UP/FA Post
Position Title: Vice President for Workforce Diversity, Human Resources and Professional Development
Position Number: 993791
Summary of Responsibilities
The Vice President for Workforce Diversity, Human Resources and Professional Development provides vision and leadership to Wichita State University’s Human Resources and our affiliated institutions and ensures alignment with institutional priorities. This position leads institutional diversity initiatives and strategic efforts to advance respect, equity, diversity, and inclusion for all members of the campus community. The Vice President for Workforce Diversity, Human Resources, and Professional Development will work with other members of the leadership team to drive performance improvement and operational excellence throughout the institution. This individual will build successful human resources programs around diversity and inclusion, employee satisfaction, talent acquisition, talent management, learning and development, leadership and organizational development, compensation, and benefits. This role is not only supportive of individual employees but is attuned to changing workplace demographics and provides resources to enable sustainable institutional success.
- Master’s degree in Human Resources or related field from an accredited institution of higher learning.
- Five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in an executive management level position within human resources and/or workforce diversity departments
- Five (5) years encompassing a full range of human resources disciplines
- Experience in a comprehensive, public sector and collective bargaining environment
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Excellent oral, written and other communications skills; computer literacy; the ability to multitask
- Demonstrated experience dealing with highly sensitive and confidential situations
- A history of successful collaboration with multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated leadership skills and abilities
- Commitment to quality and integrity
- An advanced understanding of state laws, statutes and federal laws and regulations related to employment
- Demonstrated effectiveness in spearheading and supporting diversity and organizational change initiatives
- Demonstrated experience in growing the diversity of the workforce and retaining the workforce
- Exceptional skills in communications and interpersonal relations
- Advanced knowledge of and commitment to affirmative action and equal employment opportunity
- The ability and willingness to delegate effectively and to hold direct reports accountable
- Strong analytical, project management, fiscal and workforce development skills
- Skilled decision-maker, with transparency in decision-making and management
All employees of Wichita State University are expected to support the WSU Vision, Mission and Values and foster an environment of diversity in culture, thought and experience.
Wichita State University does not discriminate in its employment practices, educational programs or activities on the basis of age, ancestry, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, pregnancy, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a veteran.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check as required by Board of Regents policy.
Location: Wichita, KS – WSU Main Campus
Proposed Salary or Hourly Rate: Commensurate with experience
Eligible for Shift Differential: No
Benefits Eligible: Yes
- Doctoral degree
- Ten (10) or more years of progressively responsible experience in an executive management level position within human resources and/or diversity departments
- Human Resources and Diversity Management responsibilities in a Higher Education setting
- Experience in delivering education at the university level
- Professional certifications, strongly preferred, such as PHR (Professional in Human Resources), SPHR (Senior Professional in Human Resources), SHRM-CP (Society for Human Resource Management Certified Professional), SHRM-SCP (Society for Human Resource Management Senior Certified Professional), HRMP (Human Resource Management Professional), HRBP (Human Resource Business Professional) and CCP (Certified Compensation Professional).
Regular Hours of Work: Typically Mon – Fri 8 am to 5 pm
- Typical office environment.
Responsibility / Duty
- Lead all aspects of the University’s human resource, workforce diversity, and professional development units/programs to ensure that the workforce at the University (and affiliated institutions) is aligned with institutional priorities.
- Supervise the University’s Human Resources unit including, talent acquisition, talent management, learning and development, compensation and benefits, employee relations, corrective counseling, workers’ compensation, and unemployment
- Serve as or supervise the University’s Chief Diversity Officer
- Represent the President and/or the University in the region and the nation regarding university efforts on diversity, inclusion and professional development
- Work with peer institutions across the country and the Executive Vice President in the recruitment of a diverse pool of Post-Doctoral candidates
- Lead a culture of innovation, accountability, and excellence. Develop and execute a robust talent management strategy which includes effective talent acquisition programs to ensure the appropriate recruitment and long-term retention of faculty and staff
- Develop and execute a cohesive approach to aligning and integrating a range of new and existing initiatives, training and mentoring programs, policies, systems, and procedures that will foster an inclusive campus employment climate that embraces diverse perspectives, complex identities, and lived experiences
- Partner with the Executive Vice President and Provost and develop strategies and opportunities to recruit and retain diverse faculty
- Work closely with the General Counsel and Office of Institutional Equity Offices to identify opportunities for risk mitigation and ensure legal compliance through policy formation and revision, leadership and supervisor training, onboarding and off-boarding procedures and processes, and oversight of human resource compliance areas
- Ensure meaningful support is provided to all levels of the University regarding human resources issues
- Develop and foster a culture of leadership, ethics, integrity, and compliance at all levels of the organization
- Lead the university’s efforts to cultivate an employment environment that values and demonstrates the University’s commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Provide unit oversight and leadership, strategic planning, and vision implementation to achieve the University’s initiatives and goals concerning the following areas:
- Professional development and mentoring programs
- Leadership development, performance management, training and succession planning programs
- Development of contemporary and comprehensive approaches to recruit, retain and advance a diverse and talented workforce
- Hiring and retention strategy that aligns with university objectives and diverse representation from students, faculty, and staff
- Delivery of proactive, consultative and strategic advice to leaders at all levels related to policy, procedure, and best practice
- Administration and negotiation of bargaining unit contracts which define the conditions of employment for union-represented employees
- Compliance with FLSA, ADA, FMLA, immigration laws, FCRA, and other applicable federal, state, and local regulations governing employment
University diversity initiatives, ensuring the University’s workforce honors individuality and protects the dignity of all
- Development of dynamic and intentional diversity, equity and inclusion programs and initiatives for faculty and staff
This is not a complete description. For full job posting see https://jobs.wichita.edu/postings/18511