Natural Resources Technician 1
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Hamburg, IA 51640
Natural Resources Technician 1
Natural Resources Technician 1
$36,379.20 – $53,268.80 Annually
Hamburg -51640 – Fremont County, IA
542 Iowa Department of Natural Resources
12/10/2019 11:59 PM Central
Point of Contact
Michelle Reinig – email@example.com, 515-250-2222
Only applicants who meet the Minimum Qualification Requirements and meet all selective requirements will be placed on the eligible list.
The Iowa Department of Natural Resources (DNR) has a job vacancy for a Natural Resource Technician 1 position, within the Parks Bureau, located at Waubonsie State Park in Hamburg, IA.
The job responsibilities include:
Facility and Equipment Maintenance: Under the direction of the park manager, clean and maintain all park facilities including offices, service building, restrooms, shower & restroom buildings, heating and cooling systems, water and wastewater systems, campgrounds, shelters, lodges, cabins and camping cabins, docks, roadways, playgrounds, and fences. Operate and maintain all assigned equipment safely and correctly. This includes trimmers, saws, power hand tools, pumps, mowers, tractors, ATV’s, trailers, boats and motor vehicles.
Grounds Maintenance: Under the direction of the park manager, maintain all public use areas in a clean and orderly condition. Participate in the management of vegetation, wildlife and fish populations through the use of controlled burns of prairie and timber areas, vegetation plantings, pruning, habitat improvement and/or construction. Assist with the removal and control of invasive species. Maintain multi-use trail system in a manner that ensures both visitor safety and the integrity of the resource. Responsible for attending pesticide applicator training and maintaining certification.
Public Relations, Information and Education: Engage in public appearances both on and off the area to promote the state park system, recreational safety and natural resource management. Respond to the media as requested. Play an active role with division interpretive programs and seasonal naturalists. Promote and interact with the local friends group as required. Work collaboratively with the local chamber of commerce and other economic development groups that play a role in promoting the area.Patrols within the assigned area to ensure visitor safety, security of state property and facilities, and orderliness within the public-use areas as a six-month officer. Assists park visitors with problems and their requests for help. Attends regular training sessions on enforcement subjects to maintain knowledge of enforcement techniques. Completes paperwork related to enforcement, and other reports as required.
Administrative support: Assist with the completion of written reports. Collect information for attendance, budget, area, fuel, incident, payroll and cash reports. Collect fees in accordance with DNR policy & procedures. Assist with work assignments for natural resources aides and volunteers.
1. Operate and maintain power tools and equipment commonly used to maintain buildings and landscapes; ability to work outdoors and withstand physically demanding work such as stooping, bending and routinely lifting up to 50 pounds.
2. Must obtain, within 12 months, and maintain a commercial pesticide applicators license.
3. Must understand and follow written and oral instructions and effectively communicate technical information; attention to detail.
4. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with management and other DNR staff; capacity to adjust to change, work pressures or difficult situations without undue stress; ability to work independently as well as a team member in solving problems and improving service delivery.
5. Must demonstrate initiative, a customer service and team orientation, and display high standards of ethical conduct; position is a full-time position and as such, requires regular attendance.
6. Must meet DAS Selective #914 – Park Management
7. Position requires possession of a valid driver’s license at time of hire and a CDL within 12 months.
1) Obtain (within 12 months) and maintain a commercial pesticide applicators license.
2) Possess a valid driver’s license at time of hire and obtain a CDL within 12 months.
3) Understand and follow written and oral instructions and effectively communicate technical information.
4) Work independently as well as in a team member in solving problems and improving service delivery.
5) Show initiative, customer service and display high standards of ethical conduct.
Critical Job Competencies
Communication Skills (written/oral), Interpersonal Skills, Customer Focus, Integrity, Self-Management, High Productivity, Flexibility, Accountability, Team Player, Computer Skills, and Technical Skills (park management)
The DNR seeks to hire individuals who wish to support our mission, which is to conserve and enhance our natural resources in cooperation with individuals and organization, to improve the quality of life in Iowa and ensure a legacy for future generations.
Typical Hours are 8am-4:30pm M-F, but will have occasional evening/weekend work as needed and occasional in-state travel.The starting salary for new state (Executive Branch) employees will be at the base of the pay range ($36,379.20 annually). This position offers a competitive salary schedule and benefit package. The State of Iowa is an EEO/AA Employer.
914 Park and Recreation Management
6 months’ experience, twelve semester hours, or a combination of both in the operation and/or maintenance of parks or park recreational services. May have commonly been served at a national, state, or county park level.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
The equivalent of two years of full time experience involving facilities maintenance in plumbing, electrical, and/or heating and cooling, or semi-skilled or technical work in a biological, horticultural, conservation, or natural resources program;
an equivalent combination of education and experience substituting 30 semester hours of college level course work in a biological or natural resources program for the required experience.
For additional information, please click on thislink to view the job description.
Additional Qualification Requirements
+ Certain designated positions in this job class require applicants to obtain: a Commercial Drivers License and endorsements; and/or certification as a water and wastewater system operator within a p