Phlebotomist I (Donor Care Tech I) - Kansas City
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Kansas City, MO 64111
Under the supervision of the Collection Supervisor, perform donor suitability, histories and blood collection procedures. Ensures the safety of the donor and safety, purity and potency of the blood collected. Assists in the set-up and break down of the mobile site equipment before and after the mobile (if applicable). Performs various regulated functions related to the care of the blood after collections, including storage and transportation. Promotes positive image of CBC to the Community.
• Performs donor interview and evaluates suitability of donor for donation based on current Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) criteria.
• Determines donor hemoglobin by obtaining a finger-stick sample.
• Takes and documents donor blood pressure, pulse and temperature.
• Performs blood collection procedures according to SOPs, including Quality Control, skin preparation, phlebotomy, obtaining tube samples and removing needles.
• Attends to donor’s comfort and safety post donation, including those having reactions or complications to the procedure and notifying the Collection Supervisor.
• Maintains confidentiality of all information regarding donors.
• Labels all blood collection materials according to SOP.
• Cares for blood after collection, including segmenting, providing temporary storage and transportation to the center, when necessary.
• Assists in unloading, assembling, maintain, dismantling and reloading of equipment and supplies (if applicable).
• Complies with CBC safety policies and procedures.
• Demonstrates excellent customer service when dealing with donors, members of the community and co-workers.
• Exhibits professionalism in dress, personal grooming and hygiene.
• Maintains prompt and regular attendance.
• Must be able to confidently communicate and interpret intermediate information in English to all members of the public and CBC staff.
• WORK HOURS AND DAYS VARY SO MUST BE VERY FLEXIBLE
• High school diploma or equivalent – Must provide a copy of the transcript.
• Medical Assistant degree preferred.
• Phlebotomy certification preferred.
Prefer an individual with at least 6 months experience in:
• A health-related field, and
• Mobile Staff: Must have and maintain a valid operator’s license (MO class E; KS class C)
• Fixed Site Staff: Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license
• Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
• Proficient in all duties related to Donor Room Assistant.
Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent customer service skills.
• Good writing skills to successfully document as needed.
• Good verbal skills to successfully communicate with donors, chairpersons, community, and co-workers.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
• Computer skills.