Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Lawrence, KS 66045
University of Kansas – Lawrence
U-Unclassified Professional Staff
The Lead Teacher position is responsible for a variety of instructional and curricular duties, as well as some administrative responsibility related to enrollment and licensing. The person in this position serves as the lead teacher and speech-language pathologist in the classroom. This position also involves communication with KU students and families of children in the preschool. In addition, this position involves assigned duties which require the ability to problem solve and also work independently.
This is a full-time position at either a 12 month or 10-month appointment (time period is negotiable) or a part-time position (working morning or afternoon time periods).
80% – Instructional
- Serve as lead teacher and speech-language pathologist in the Language Acquisition Preschool.
- Oversee day-to-day operations and needs of the classroom independently, including materials preparation, compliance with KDHE regulations (e.g., attendance, required drills, etc.), and maintaining the classroom, storage areas, and observation room orderly and organized.
- Develop semester curriculum plan and weekly lesson plans with minimal guidance and assistance from LAP director, demonstrating creativity, innovation, and developmental sequence.
- Explicitly model classroom teaching and clinical expectations for student clinicians, including executing circle time activities effectively, utilizing interactive reading strategies during story time, and introducing and demonstrating the weekly dramatic play scripts.
- Utilize evidence-based and interactive teaching methods related to phonological awareness and literacy, math instruction, and other academic content appropriate for preschool, with consistency and independence.
- Assist in the development of materials and additional supports that meet the communication needs of the children, particularly non-identified children such as English Language Learners.
- Demonstrate consistent and independent clinical skills when meeting the communication needs of identified children in the classroom.
10% – Assistance to the Director
- Assist LAP director in receiving, sorting, and filing incoming enrollment and volunteer paperwork each semester.
- Assist LAP director as needed in preparation for yearly licensing audit in the spring semester.
10% – Other
- Communicate regularly with parents and families, including weekly newsletter (LAPLINES).
- Conduct basic assessments for preschool students, such as speech-language screenings when needed, as determined by LAP director.
- Participate in weekly clinical team meetings with student clinicians and the LAP director
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology OR a Bachelor’s degree in Early Childhood Education
- Three (3) years of instructional experience.
- If Speech-Language Pathologist:Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC-SLP) or is eligible to begin Clinical Fellowship Year from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
Kansas license or eligible for Kansas license in speech-language pathology
- If early childhood educator, a Kansas teaching license.
- Experience and/or skills in communication disorders of young children.
- Experience in preschool instruction and curriculum.
- Experience in providing classroom intervention, including language facilitation strategies in naturalistic settings.
Additional Candidate Instructions
A complete application will include the following materials:
Please attach a cover letter, resume/CV, a list of Licenses/Certificates, and contact information for three professional references including their email addresses.
*Review of applications will begin on July 1, 2019 and continue until a qualified pool of applicants is obtained.
Anticipated start date as soon as possible or by August 1, 2019. Depending upon appointment terms of either a 10 or 12 month appointment period (appointment period is negotiable).*
Contact Information to Applicants
Advertised Salary Range
Application Review Begins
Anticipated Start Date
The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information in the university’s programs and activities. Retaliation is also prohibited by university policy.