Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wichita, KS 67209
Tool Maker (1911500)
Johnson Controls’ Wichita operation designs, builds and distributes around one million pieces of residential heating and cooling equipment every year. Johnson Controls Wichita builds and assembles some of the biggest HVAC brands in the industry, including York, Luxaire, Coleman, Champion and Guardian.
The primary manufacturing campus sits on 63 acres with a total of 1.3 million square feet. It has also translated into large employment growth in Wichita, where its workforce is around 1,600 employees which is up nearly 22 percent year over year. The Wichita manufacturing facility is the largest non-aircraft manufacturing plant in Wichita.
What you will do
- Repair machine shop tools, gauges, fixtures, jigs or dies using a variety of machining procedures and equipment for the use within the Company.
How you will do it
- Under general supervision, perform a variety of tasks which require a thorough knowledge of fabrication techniques, materials, tools and equipment.
- Read shop prints and sketches.
- Demonstrate knowledge of and ability to use all precision measuring instruments.
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper feeds and speeds applicable to all metal, ferrous and nonferrous.
- Demonstrate knowledge of all machines and machining procedures, lathes, mills, drills, jig bore, shaper, planer, and grinders.
- Perform layout and assembly of jigs and fixtures.
- Use and set-up of index heads and rotary tables.
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of single hit and multi-progression dies.
- Demonstrate familiarity with small tools, cutter grinding, and set-ups.
- Maintain clean and safe working conditions of machine and working area.
- Follow instructions of Master Tool and Die Maker.
- Other duties may be assigned.
What we look for
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to work overtime as required to meet production demands including Saturdays and Sundays when necessary.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee frequently is required to talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- The employee is frequently exposed to vibration.
- The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, extreme cold, and extreme heat.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
- The employee in this job must be knowledgeable of and follow all company safety policies and procedures.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The above description is concise, and is not intended to include all details of the job.
At Johnson Controls, we’re shaping the future to create a world that’s safe, comfortable and sustainable. Our global team creates innovative, integrated solutions to make cities more connected, buildings more intelligent and vehicles more efficient. We are passionate about improving the way the world lives, works and plays. The future requires bold ideas, an entrepreneurial mind-set and collaboration across boundaries. You need a career focused on tomorrow. Tomorrow needs you.
Johnson Controls is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information, please view EEO is the Law. If you are an individual with a disability and you require an accommodation during the application process, please visit www.johnsoncontrols.com/tomorrowneedsyou.