Laborer - Lodging
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
McConnell AFB, Wichita, KS 67221
NOTE: Any individual who was required to register with Selective Service and who is not registered or knowingly and willfully did not register before the requirement terminated or became inapplicable, will not be appointed
The function of the organization where this position is to provide housing to transient personnel, to families who are temporarily without permanent housing, furnishings for transient quarters, and linen exchange services to authorized organizations. The purpose of this position is to perform manual-labor tasks involving the use of common hand tools and simple power equipment for Services Lodging.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Performs one or a combination of the following manual-labor tasks:
1. Loads, unloads, moves, and stacks material such as heavy boxes and bulky items by hand, hand-trucks, or dollies. Opens crates and boxes using crowbars and cuts bands using shears. Places items where directed.
2. Operates hand tools and simple power equipment such as hand lawnmowers, walking-type power mowers, hand-saws, hatchets, and clippers to perform tasks such as mowing lawns, clearing small trees and bushes, and removing snow. May use a shovel or dig ditches and trenches where soil is not compacted and grading and sloping is not required, or to fill holes, level bumps and low places, or remove coal, ash, snow, dirt, etc.
3. Performs a variety of manual tasks such as moving, arranging, collecting, and cleaning equipment and materials. Moves and arranges furniture, as directed. May collect and empty garbage cans, burn garbage and trash, and wash and wax cars and trucks by hand or using a powered buffer.
4. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Condition of Employment: Scheduled tour of duty may require evenings, weekends, and holiday work hours.
CONTROLS OVER WORK
Supervisor provides specific instructions for new tasks, after which incumbent may independently complete duties involving several distinct tasks or steps. Supervisor may check work in progress or review results of finished projects.
OTHER SIGNIFICANT FACTS
1. Skills and Knowledge: A certain degree of manual skill is required in using necessary hand tools and in operating simple power equipment. Continual care must be exercised by the incumbent because of the nature of the tools and equipment used, and weight of the objects handled.
2. Physical Effort: Exerts moderately heavy physical effort, occasionally lifting and carrying heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds (about 23 kilograms); frequently lifting and carrying moderately heavy objects up to 40 pounds (18 kilograms); and frequently pushing heavy objects such as furniture on dollies and loaded carts.
3. Working Conditions: Outside work is usually performed under all kinds of weather conditions. Indoor work is often accomplished in office buildings or in well-lighted, heated, and ventilated areas such as warehouses, loading docks, or trade shops. Frequently exposed to weather and temperature extremes, drafts, noise, dust, and dirt and the possibility of bruises, muscle strains, cuts, and scrapes. Work requires the employee follow proper safety procedures and use standard safety equipment such as gloves, ear protectors, safety glasses, and steel-toe shoes to avoid possible hazards in the work area.
Must have manual skill and knowledge to operate simple power equipment, such as powered push lawnmowers, leaf blowers, weed trimmers and low-pressure sprayer. Knowledge of basic hand tools such as hand-saws, hatchets, clippers. Must be able to read and follow simple signs and specific written and/or oral instructions involving duties with several distinct tasks or steps. Physically able to frequently lift and carry objects weighing up to 40 pounds and be able to occasionally lift and carry objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Able to actively bend, stoop, stand, reach, and work in awkward positions. Must be able to satisfactorily complete a pre-employment physical. Must be able to satisfactorily complete a Tl Investigation.
All formal and informal training applicable to this position, as deemed necessary by the supervisor.? EEO Policy Statement The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Reasonable Accommodation Policy Statement
This agency provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.