Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Saint Paul, KS 66771
PRAIRIE MISSION RETIREMENT VILLAGE
PRAIRIE MISSION RETIREMENT VILLAGE
Position: Support – RN/LPN
Department: Nursing Services
The Charge Nurse supervises the day-to-day nursing activities performed by nurse aides and provides direct nursing care to the residents in compliance with current Federal, State, Local and Facility standards, guidelines, regulations, and policies and as may be directed by the Director of Nursing.
Report to: Director of Nursing
Primary Job Duties: (* denotes essential job functions)
1. Directs and renders care to the residents within an assigned unit as leader of the unit.
Makes assignments, admits, transfers, and discharges residents.
2. Administers PRN medications and IM, SQ and Intra Dermal Injections (i.e., Vitamin B, Insulin),
Receives doctor’s orders, charts, assists physicians, and supervises other nursing staff according to establish policies and procedures.
3. Reviews medication orders and medication sheets for completeness and accuracy of information,
Accuracy in the transcription of physician orders, and adherence to stop order policies.
4. Determines employee work assignment and has the authority to make changes and revise duties as
Needed to meet resident needs.
5. Make daily visits to resident’s room to observe and evaluate physical and emotional status/needs of the residents during shift. Observe resident condition and notify physician of any change or any possible need for medication or treatment.
6. Provides direct resident care when needed, i.e. takes blood pressure, pulse, temperature, respiration, oral care, etc.
7. Initiates and reviews resident care plans for appropriate resident goals, problems, approaches and revisions based on nursing needs. Complete MDS forms and other required documentation (monthly summaries, physical assessments).
8. Gives, receives and understands resident reports from staff or previous shifts.
9. Administer prescribed PRN medication and treatments as ordered by the physician. Chart it and note all effects. Note: Charge LPN’s can only administer treatments they are authorized to administer.
10. Keeps the Director of Nursing informed of resident status and other related matters via written reports and verbal communication.
11. Interprets and implements facility and department policies and procedure in a fair and consistent manner.
12 Personally evaluates nursing employees who are assigned to area in aspects of employee job performance. Provide counseling to staff in areas of job performance and quality of care delivered. Personally involved in the process of discipline when facility rules are not followed. Issues warnings and suspends staff when appropriate.
13. Notifies appropriate family members or responsible parties of any change in the resident’s condition.
14. Completes incident reports promptly for residents and staff when necessary.
15. Maintains confidentiality of all pertinent care information to assure protection of resident rights and privacy.
16. Converses with residents and their families regarding problems and possible solutions progress and plan of care and convey a genuine sense of concern.
17. Requests necessary equipment and supplies as needed.
18. Improves professional knowledge through professional reading, in-service educational and other avenues. Attend in-service education and supervisory meetings or a regular basis.
19. Answer telephone inquiries in a professional manner.
20. Receives verbal orders from physicians and charts on required sheets.
21. Assists in the hiring process for nursing staff and offers recommendations for hiring and/or rejection based on applicant’s qualifications. Assist in orientation of newly assigned personnel in job duties on unit.
22. Orders prescribed medications, supplies and equipment as established by facility policies and procedures.
23. Follows facility complaint procedure and adjusts or suggests solutions to resolve problems.
24. Supervises other licensed staff giving skilled nursing care that is ordered by a physician.
(Note: RN’s must assist LPN’s in areas they are not permitted to practice.
25. Orients new residents and their family members to functions of the Department.
26. Forwards diet changes to Dietary Department.
*27. Performs other duties as necessary and appropriate or as directed by the Department Supervisor or Administrator.
Educational and Experience Requirements:
- Must be a RN or LPN, licensed in the state where facility is located.
- Must have prior experience in long-term care and at least six (6) months’ supervisory experience.
- Must deal tactfully with staff, residents, family members, visitors, government staff and the general public.
- Must be knowledgeable of nursing and medical practices and procedures, as well as laws, regulations, and guidelines that pertain to long term care.
- Must possess supervisory ability, good communication skills, and the willingness to work harmoniously with professional and non-professional staff.
- Must have the ability to plan, organize and schedule work tasks and duties for assigned staff; and ability to interpret program, goals, objectives, policies and procedures necessary to providing quality care to assigned staff.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- May be exposed to infectious waste and disease (Including HBV and HIV).
- Moves throughout nursing facility throughout workday.
- Must be able to cope with emotional and hostile residents, families, guests, staff, and other visitors.
- Will be required to work after regular work hours, on holidays, and on weekends.
Electric bed, electric thermometer, electric and manual wheelchairs, tubs, lifts, gait belts.
Efforts have been made to develop a complete job description; however, please be aware that the duties and requirements listed herein are not the only duties, which you may be required to perform. The omissions of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from being assigned to you if the work is similar, related, a logical assignment to the positions, or is necessary in an emergency situation.
I have read the attached rn/lpnjob description and understand the requirements listed herein. I agree to follow the requirements set forth. I understand that my employment with Prairie Mission Retirement Village, Inc. is at will and the company or I may terminate the employment relationship at any time and for any reason.
Date Employee Signature
Date Supervisor’s Signature