OTTAWA BOOKSTORE ASSISTANT
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Ottawa, KS 66067
Reports to: Ottawa Bookstore Coordinator Classification: Half-time, 12-month Employee
Pay Status: Hourly, Non-exempt, Level II
Fringe Benefits per Board Policy Starting salary range: $11.25 – $12.00
The Bookstore Assistant reports to the Ottawa Bookstore Coordinator. This position is responsible for the sale, and rental of textbooks and related materials as well as sale of college merchandise. The Assistant should endeavor to meet the needs of our students, faculty, staff, and general public, and make sure that each visit is an enjoyable one. Duties include, but are not limited to:
1. Provide premiere quality service to all constituencies of the College.
2. Engage in continuous quality improvement and professional development.
1. Assist the Bookstore Coordinator with day-to-day activities and maintaining a clean and attractive bookstore.
2. Provide excellent customer service by greeting and assisting customers as they enter the store, properly answer the phone, and assist with accurate textbook and merchandise information.
3. Assist with processing of daily deposits.
4. Process requisitions for purchases of apparel and merchandise for resale.
5. Maintain accurate inventory records and work with a serialized textbook system.
6. Assist the Bookstore Coordinator with the processing of online orders.
7. Continue to obtain new knowledge, skills and training with our online book processing systems in MBS, including data entry, information retrieval, and reporting.
8. Maintain precise inventory and assist with completing annual inventory.
9. Assist with student employee training.
10. Ensure proper records maintenance through accurate scanning and tagging of files in Laserfiche.
11. Perform other duties assigned by the Ottawa Bookstore Coordinator.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
1. Excellent customer service skills. Successful candidate must have a pleasant demeanor when working with students, faculty, staff, and the general public.
2. Accounting skills are a must.
3. Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy, excellent organizational skills, excellent verbal and written communications skills.
4. Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, and Outlook software programs and databases required.
5. Ability to work in a bookstore/office environment where each employee assumes multiple responsibilities.
6. Ability to work well under pressure and to reliably meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
7. Ability to maintain confidentiality of student information.
8. Ability to lift and transport boxes weighing up to 50 pounds.
9. Ability to reach and work overhead.
10. Ability to read small print (with the aid of corrective lenses if necessary).
Education and Experience
1. HS diploma or GED required, Associates preferred.
2. One-two years of work experience required, preferably in area of responsibilities of position.
1. This is a fast paced, moderately noisy environment.
2. The work is performed standing as much as sitting. Must be able to stand for extensive periods of time.
3. Peak periods require flexibility with scheduling to maintain store coverage.
Please submit a letter of application, resume with names and phones numbers of five references, unofficial transcripts, and employment application to: Human Resources Director, Ottawa Bookstore Assistant – PT, Neosho County Community College, 800 West 14th Street, Chanute, KS 66720 or Email to email@example.com. Employment application available at www.neosho.edu/careers. Review of applications begins upon receipt.
NCCC is an EOE/AA employer
The current non-discrimination policy can be found at: