Director of the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laborator
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Manhattan, KS 66502
The mission of Kansas State University is to foster excellent teaching, research, and service that develop the highly skilled and educated citizenry necessary to advancing the well-being of Kansas, the nation and the international community.
Kansas State University educates more than 24,000 of tomorrow’s potential leaders, and provides some of the best global food systems and biosecurity research in the world. In fact, the university is progressing toward its goal of becoming a Top 50 public research university by 2025.
The university has nine academic colleges and offers more than 250 majors and options. The Graduate School offers 65 master’s degrees, 45 doctoral degrees and 22 graduate certificates in multiple disciplines. The Princeton Review recognizes the university as one of the nation’s best colleges, and U.S. News & World Report lists the university among the top 75 public universities in the U.S.
Commonly referred to as K-State, the community is proud of its welcoming environment, and considers all K-Staters family. Our athletic teams, known as the Wildcats, compete in the Big 12 Conference and frequently win titles and championships.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University’s commitment to the** Principles of Community.**
Kansas State University (KSU) is recruiting a highly qualified individual to serve as Director of the Kansas State Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory (KSVDL) (http://www.ksvdl.org/). The Director is the chief administrative officer of KSVDL and is expected to leverage and maintain the integral role of the laboratory in the research, professional service and teaching missions of KSU College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM). KSVDL is a full service (bacteriology, molecular diagnostics, pathology, rabies, serology, toxicology, virology) AAVLD-accredited diagnostic laboratory. The KSVDL is also a member of the USDA National Animal Health Laboratory Network (NAHLN) and is situated adjacent to the National Bio and Agro-defense Facility (NBAF), due to open in 2022. The Director will lead and manage a team of 89 KSU CVM faculty, technicians and administrative staff ensuring the highest quality diagnostic services are delivered promptly to clientele. This position will be either Clinical or Tenure track and hold the rank of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Full Professor.
The Successful Candidate:
- Oversee the timely development and delivery of responsive veterinary diagnostic testing services that meet the needs of veterinarians, livestock producers, researchers and other stakeholders.
- Implement, direct and maintain quality assurance standards and protocols in accordance with AAVLD requirements to uphold the accreditation status of the laboratory.
- Provide strategic leadership, management and coaching to a team of highly skilled veterinary faculty and technical and administrative staff
- Engage in professional development to continually develop skills to effectively lead and manage KSVDL operations and initiatives
- Develop and manage effective collaborative working relationships based on trust and credibility with key local, national and international stakeholders
- Ensure KSVDL is optimally staffed, operates in a fiscally responsible manner and its processes are efficient to meet ongoing mission and emerging needs of laboratory stakeholders
- Manage equipment and facilities planning, budget preparation, regulatory compliance, contract negotiation for equipment maintenance and supplies
- Establish and maintain safety, biosafety, biocontainment and biosecurity programs relevant to present and anticipated needs
- Foster connections with external groups to strengthen ties with commodity organizations, private companies, state, federal, and local agencies
- Address any Complaints/Nonconforming Events/ Corrective Actions that are not handled within a reasonable timeframe, to sufficiently address the issue or that result in continued occurrence
- Communicate effectively and efficiently in fashions tailored to the stakeholders and situations
- Communicate clearly and effectively with employees, clinicians, professional staff and residents
- Advise the CVM Dean and relevant Department Heads on faculty and staff evaluation, promotion and/or tenure, and other programmatic needs consistent with the strategic plan and the mission of the College and University
- Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM) or equivalent and advanced degree in relevant field of study
- Minimum of 5 years working in a veterinary diagnostic laboratory or related diagnostic laboratory experience in an industry or corporate environment
- Ph.D., MPH, MBA, board certification in veterinary pathology, microbiology, toxicology or another laboratory-related specialty
- Previous leadership experience as a laboratory director, distinguished record in research, teaching and/or diagnostic service
- Experience with implementing and maintaining laboratory quality assurance systems
Application materials should include a cover letter outlining your career goals, a short resume, full curriculum vitae (C.V.), and contact information for at least 3 professional references.
Application queries or nominations should be sent to:
Full consideration will be given to applications received by February 15, 2019. Questions regarding the position may be directed to Ms. Dee Royer (firstname.lastname@example.org) or the search committee chair, Dr. Bradley Njaa (email@example.com).
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University will procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.
Department: 3670080080 Veterinary Diagnostic Lab
Job no: 506479
Work type: Academic / Faculty – 12 month
Location: Manhattan, Kansas
Categories: Administrative / Professional, Education / Instructional, Executive / Director / Management, Veterinary Medicine, Research / Scientific / Grants
Pay Grade: 001
Advertised: 17 Jan 2019 Central Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled