Equipment Operator I
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Great Bend, KS 67530
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs related manual tasks to carry out all functions related to Barton County Road and Bridge construction. Operate construction and maintenance equipment such as single-axle and/or heavy duty tandem-axle trucks. Haul equipment trailers to project sights. Operate construction equipment. Maintain a positive attitude towards all job tasks. This position has a high degree of responsibility to carry out job tasks and supervise others.
FUNDAMENTAL JOB DUTIES:
• Precisely operates motor grader in asphalt operations.
• Grades and lays down asphalt roads according to regular standards.
• Operate self-propelled pneumatic and steel rollers to compact roadway base and surfacing materials.
• Calculates oil usages and asphalt tonnage.
• Seal highways with an oil distributor and sand spreader.
• Operate oil dis¬tributor during sealing/patching operations.
• Plows snow and spreads anti-skid materials.
HEAVY EQUIPMENT OPERATION
• Operates dredge equipment and ADM.
• Operates motor grader to make rough cuts during dirt construction.
• Loads materials with front-end loader and operates single-axle and/or heavy-duty tandem-axle truck to deliver materials to project sight.
• Operate mechanical broom, paint-striping machine, sandblasting machine, forklift, tractor-mower, related mowing equipment, and snow removal equipment.
• Repair fences and guardrails.
• Utilizes electric and gas welding machines. Ability to weld various types of metal and equipment including hard surfacing of blades, etc.
• Maintains records related to job assignments and fills out proper forms, time sheets, etc
• Performs preventive equipment maintenance and mechanical re¬pairs.
• Performs work according to professional stan¬dards and objectives.
• May supervise others as instruct¬ed.
• Performs all other duties as requested by supervisor.
• Performs other manual labor tasks as required.
EDUCATION: Minimum Required: High school diploma or equivalent (GED).
Preferred: Two (2) year trade school in road construction or related field.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum Required: Two years of light to medium construction, maintenance, or agricultural equipment operating experience. Written proof of
Preferred: Experience in surveying, mechanic work and technical work.
Licensure/Certification: Current Class B CDL Drivers License
SKILLS / KNOWLEDGE: Ability to read, write, communicate and follow established methods and procedures. Good judgmental skills to recognize unusual problem(s) and report to supervisor for assistance and/or solution. Supervised daily.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / ABILITIES: Ability to operate heavy equipment for long periods of time with minimal supervision, such as front-end loaders, mixers, tractor-mowers, rollers, sand spreaders, oil distributor, mechanical broom, fork lift, paint striping machine and single and heavy duty tandem-axle trucks. Consistently climbs on and off equipment; sits and stands on equipment. Stoops, bends, squats and performs manual labor. Operates hand and power tools, performs carpentry work. Most duties are repeti¬tive and related; ability to lift and carry up to 100-pound objects. Frequently stoops, bends, squats and performs manual labor.
WORKING CONDITIONS / ENVIRONMENT: Regularly works outdoors; exposure to inclement weather conditions. Frequently operates heavy equipment and machines. Frequently works around loud and noisy equipment; may encounter unsafe and dangerous situations on various project sites. Constant risk and discomfort on various jobs tasks.