Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Topeka, KS 66612
Can be underfilled with a Histotech Student
Summary: Responsible for consistent and high quality tissue blocks and slides to facilitate accurate and timely diagnoses rendered by the Pathologist. Paraffin block tissues, section, mount and stain tissue sections demonstrating a working knowledge of traditional and rapid processing, special and immunohistochemical (IHC) staining. Assist pathologist in gross sectioning of tissues. Utilize computer system for daily procedure i.e., patient registration, accessioning specimen, report generation and etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Prepare tissue section slides for Pathologist. Paraffin block, section, mount, stain and coverslip tissue specimens as described in procedure manual.
• Perform special stains and IHC stains as requested by the Pathologist.
• Prepare solutions and stains as required.
• Perform and record quality control as directed in procedure manual.
• Maintain supply levels using cost-effective inventory control.
• Maintain daily records of number of procedures and quality control samples.
• Perform and record preventative maintenance on equipment.
• Perform client services.
o As needed, confirm physicians orders, obtaining the necessary information for testing the specimen.
o Act as a resource person for the Outreach Accounts with regards to problem solving, answering questions and giving customer support.
• Safety o Follows all applicable OSHA guidelines.
o Follows all hospital and departmental safety policies.
• Maintain current procedural manuals as directed by supervisor.
• Maintain records and specimens as per department procedure.
• Discard tissue specimens properly as per department procedure.
• File paraffin blocks, stained tissue slides and maintain files as directed by policy.
• Participate in continuing education and related programs.
• Train students and new employees in histology techniques.
• Maintain awareness of technical advances in Histology.
• Initiate and develop new procedures.
• Initiate and participate in process improvement projects.
• Accurately utilize, at full function, the WinSurge pathology computer system.
• Scan slides and manage data on the ChromaVision Imaging System.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Histotechnician, ASCP or Histotechnologist, ASCP or registry eligible. Must obtain ASCP certification (HT or HTL) within 1 year of hire.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
Certificates and Licenses:
HT (ASCP) or HTL or registry eligible. Passing the HT is required within 1 year of hire in order to maintain this position.