Sheet Metal Worker Apprenticeship
Click the Facebook, Google+ or LinkedIn icons to share this job with your friends or contacts. Click the Twitter icon to tweet this job to your followers. Click the link button to view the URL of the job, which then can be copied and pasted into an e-mail or other document.
Wichita, KS 67213
The Sheet Metal Workers’ Local Union 29 is accepting applications for the 2018 Sheet Metal Apprenticeship class. Applications are accepted on a year-round basis and must be completed before the end of June 2018.
THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTATION IS REQUIRED:
• High School Diploma / GED or transcripts
• Birth Certificate
• Social Security Card
• Valid Driver’s License
• Kansas WorkReady! certificate / WorkKeys scores
- Must be 18 years or older
- High school graduate or certificate of high school equivalency (GED)
- Have a valid Driver’s License
- Must take and pass the Kansas WorkReady! assessment / WorkKeys assesment
- Physically able to perform work required.
- Must complete evaluation process given by the Joint Apprenticeship Committee
- The apprentice will be required to attend school related to the Sheet Metal trade for a total of 180 hours per year for 4 years.
- Applicants must furnish a copy of their birth certificate, Social Security Card, valid driver’s license, HS diploma/GED and their high school transcript when making application.
- The Committee will interview each applicant who meets all basic requirements. The interviewers will consider interest, reliability, aptitude, judgment, cooperativeness and personal traits. All applicants eligible for an interview will be notified by mail as to the date, time and place to appear for the interview. The Committee will consider an applicant no longer interested in the Sheet Metal Apprenticeship Program if they fail to follow through with requirements or show up for their interview.
- Selection of apprentices under this program shall be made on the basis of qualifications alone without regard to race, creed, color, national origin or sex. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
- Must be a resident and residing in one of the following counties at least 3 months prior to application: Barber, Barton, Butler, Chase, Chautaqua, Clark, Comanche, Cowley, Dickinson, Edwards, Elk, Ellsworth, Finney, Ford, Grant, Gray, Greeley, Greenwood, Hamilton, Harper, Harvey, Hodgeman, Kearny, Kingman, Kiowa, Lane, Marion, McPherson, Meade, Morton, Ness, Pawnee, Pratt, Reno, Rice, Rush, Scott, Sedgwick, Seward, Stafford, Stanton, Stevens, Sumner, and Wichita.
Sheet Metal Workers fabricate and install metal ducts, which are used in ventilating, air conditioning and heating systems. They also fabricate and install a wide variety of other products made from thin metal sheets such as roofing, siding, commercial stainless steel kitchen equipment, petitioners, shelving, store fronts, metal framework and neon signs, and chutes used for the movement of material. In heating and air conditioning duct work, the Sheet Metal Worker lays out and plans the job, details the duct work and fittings needed, fabricates the duct work at the sheet metal shop and then installs the duct work on the job site. Sheet Metal Workers cut the metal with hand snips, power driven shears, as well as other types of cutting tools. They form the metal with brakes, bending machines, stakes, hammers, etc, then weld, bolt, rivet, solder or cement the seams and joints.
Application process must be completed in person at the Wichita Workforce Center: 2021 N Amidon, Ste 1100, Wichita, KS 67203.